Thursday, February 20, 2014

2-19-14


Hello awesome family and friends!!!

Mom thanks for the awesome throw back pictures from Legacy Elementary, those were great. I loved the sun in our eyes. haha  
Can you believe a year ago today I drove home from Redstone Arsenal at million miles per hour, opened the mail boxes, screamed like a little school girl when I saw what was inside, sat at the kitchen table, and found out where I was going to spend the next two years of my life? Time Fly’s. When you get out of high school time moves quicker I swear. Don't blink, because you'll miss the life that passes away around you right before your eyes. It’s just crazy.
Anyway, this week has been pretty productive. We have had good luck with talking to people on the street. On Sunday night I had an epiphany. I have been somewhat reluctant to contact people lately, and as we were riding our bikes that night I got to thinking. It was quite obvious to me that we haven't been having much success in our area I had a ton of different things rush into my mind at that point. I remembered a quote from one of the brethren in this last general conference, he said nothing happens in missionary work unless your teaching people, and you won’t have people to teach unless you’re searching for them, it’s that simple. I also remembered what my last ward mission leader said in a talk he gave in sacrament. He said that "if we don't decide to talk to people, we are deciding for them whether or not they have the fullness of the gospel in their life. They chose to come to this life, they chose to follow the plan, and we just have to remind them." I also realized that to some of those people, we may be the closest thing to the savior that they will ever get. And probably the most important thing that came to my mind was that you need to be bold, you’re a missionary, you don't need to worry about what others will think of you out here wearing this white shirt and tie riding a bike at 8 o'clock at night, you will look back at your life and regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did. TALK. TO. EVERYONE. After that I was just on a hunt to talk to every single person I saw. We got 18 contacts in the last hour of our day, and we had great conversations with just about all of them. Those that weren't interested will remember us and the seeds we planted will be in their hearts. If they blew us off, I didn't let I get to me, I kept up the fight and carried on. I don't think I've ever rode my bike that fast while contacting, haha. Or had that much fun while contacting before either. I felt so good after that night. If you just lay everything on the table and give it your all, missionary work becomes so much more fulfilling and rewarding. Like my mission president always says, “If you work it hard, it’s easy. If you work it easy it’s hard."

         We picked up a few potentials this week that are pretty solid. The first one is a lady named Patty. We were riding down the street in one of the neighborhoods we cover and we saw a lady going out to her car. Went up and talked to her and found out she just thought she should go check her license plates because her neighbors got stolen the other night, and we just happened to be riding by. We found out she has actually been to sacrament meeting quite a few times and she has enjoyed them quite a bit, but she would sit in the back and get out before anyone could talk to her. She told us she is actually very interested in learning more about our church. So we will definitely be going back over there soon. The other one is a lady named Debora and her two daughters. We were walking down the street and saw them doing yard work and offered to help. To our surprise she actually took us up on the offer, because apparently no one needs help when two strangers in white shirts and ties come up and ask you, haha. So she took us back to her garage and we helped her put her many boxes of Christmas decorations away in her attic. She told us that we came at just the right time, she didn't think she was going to be able to put all her stuff away for another few months. She has a ton of more stuff around her house that she needs done and we told her don't hesitate to ask us for help. I know a guy whose mom kicked his butt, had him and his brother’s work on her house all the time, and knows a thing or two about working hard, haha. So we will be back over there to help her and see where it goes from there, you never know. Another thing I learned is the Lord will place people in your path, you just have to recognize His subtle blessing in your life is all.

     Next week we get to go back to the San Diego Temple and I cannot wait to be in that beautiful building again. I never what to leave when I'm there.

Like I always say, please stay strong, please stay true, and please look out for one another while I'm away, alright?

I love you all,
-Elder Daniel
Luke 22:32   ~   DC 42:6


 2 Nephi 32:3

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Murrieta has some pretty sweet views
 

Had to do the Usain Bolt of course,
 

..and Teebow



No comments:

Post a Comment