Monday, November 25, 2013

11-25-13


Hello my amazing family!!
 
This week has been great! It’s actually starting to get cold! Not as cold as Bama though, I need to be careful what I wish for, I thought it would be great, but Nah. It’s not very enjoyable after 3 straight hours of riding your bike in 40 degree weather every day. It also rained for the first time last week, which was awesome! But it sucked riding in it because it was so cold.










 
 
 
 
 
Contacts have been great this week. We set our weekly goal for street contacts for 70 and we hit 71.

This week we taught our first solid lesson with Robert. He likes to talk a lot and do things that make it kind of hard to sit down and teach him something. When we showed up for our appointment he was outside doing yard work, so we picked up some racks and helped him out so we could still have some time to teach him. We found out he hadn't read what we left him and we were running out of time, so we decided to just read the chapter we left him the week before, Alma 32. It’s the one that talks about faith. It was amazing!! We had a wonderful discussion on the Book of Mormon and he told us that it makes perfect sense that there would be additional scripture and that Heavenly Father would continue to lead, guide, and communicate with His children today, just as in times of old. He was really excited about it too and said that he was going to show his wife what we had read with him. So that really boosts my spirits about the work in our area, there is progression. It’s the coolest thing seeing someone excited about the gospel and seeing their testimonies grow little by little. It makes me so happy.

Bishop Hymas told me a few things before I left that have stuck with me. I asked him while I was making my decision to go on a mission “Is a mission hard?" He sat back for a minute and then told me "Ya know, it’s only hard, if you make it hard." Such good counsel and it’s so true. If you work it easy, it’s hard. If you work it hard, it’s easy. Another thing that he told me was “You will never experience any other joy in your life quite like the joy you will get from bringing the gospel into the lives of those who have been searching and looking and waiting, and seeing the peace and happiness and direction that comes into their lives because of you. The only things that come close are the day you marry the love of your life and the day you hold your first born child in your arms." It’s un-describable the feeling of joy you get when you see someone come closer to their Heavenly Father. It’s funny how I thought I understood the counsel that people had given me before I came out on my mission, but I really didn't completely understand until I came out here to California and experienced things for myself.

Last week we found out that one of mine and Elder Anderson's past investigators from Fallbrook, Candy, was in the hospital because of heart problems and something that was wrong with her breathing. We were headed back from our Zone Conference and got permission from President Kendrick to go and visit her. She was staying at Palomar Hospital, which in like the nicest hospital in southern California, it looks like a 5 star resort! So we went to visit her and found out that she had been there for a week and was going to have to go through a surgical procedure to have a stint put in. She was worried because she had been in the hospital before but never for that long and never had to have a big procedure such as that. So Elder Anderson and I gave her a blessing. We found out that the surgery went great and that she will be back home this week. She's a hospice nurse, so she kind of flip flopped for a week.

 

 
I'll let yall know as soon as I can the plans for Christmas and how Skype and everything is going to work. I can’t believe I've already been out for almost half a year already. 1/4 of my mission gone, just like that.

Well I love you guys. Stay strong, stay true, and look out for each other while I'm gone, alright?
 
-Elder Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment